Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Oil: Which Is Better?
What is synthetic oil?
Synthetic oil is made from chemically engineered base oils, while conventional oil is made from refined crude oil. Synthetic oil is designed to perform better in a wider range of temperatures and conditions than conventional oil.
What is conventional oil?
Conventional oil is a natural resource that is extracted from the ground and then refined to remove impurities. Conventional oil is less expensive than synthetic oil, but it does not perform as well in extreme conditions.
Why synthetic oil is better than conventional oil
There are a number of reasons why synthetic oil is better than conventional oil. These reasons include:
- Better performance in extreme temperatures: Synthetic oil has a higher viscosity index than conventional oil, which means that it maintains its viscosity over a wider range of temperatures. This makes synthetic oil a better choice for vehicles that are operated in extreme cold or heat.
- Reduced friction and wear: Synthetic oil has a lower coefficient of friction than conventional oil, which means that it reduces friction and wear on engine components. This can lead to longer engine life and improved fuel economy.
- Improved resistance to oxidation: Synthetic oil is more resistant to oxidation than conventional oil, which means that it breaks down more slowly over time. This helps to keep the engine clean and protected.
- Longer oil change intervals: Synthetic oil can be used for longer oil change intervals than conventional oil. This can save you money and time on maintenance.
Benefits of using synthetic oil
There are a number of benefits to using synthetic oil, including:
- Extended engine life: Synthetic oil can help to extend the life of your engine by reducing friction and wear on engine components.
- Improved fuel economy: Synthetic oil can help to improve fuel economy by reducing friction in the engine.
- Reduced emissions: Synthetic oil can help to reduce emissions from your vehicle by keeping the engine clean and running efficiently.
- Improved performance: Synthetic oil can help to improve the performance of your vehicle by providing better lubrication at high temperatures.
- Longer oil change intervals: Synthetic oil can be used for longer oil change intervals than conventional oil, which can save you money and time on maintenance.
When to use synthetic oil
Synthetic oil is a good choice for all vehicles, but it is especially beneficial for vehicles that are operated in extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or cold weather. Synthetic oil is also a good choice for vehicles that are used for demanding applications, such as towing or racing.
How to switch to synthetic oil
If you are considering switching to synthetic oil, it is important to follow the recommendations of your vehicle’s manufacturer. Some vehicles require specific types of oil, and synthetic oil may not be compatible with all vehicles.
To switch to synthetic oil, simply drain the old oil from your engine and replace it with synthetic oil. You do not need to flush your engine before switching to synthetic oil.
Synthetic oil is a better choice than conventional oil for most vehicles. Synthetic oil offers better performance, protection, and durability than conventional oil. It is also more resistant to oxidation and can be used for longer oil change intervals.
If you are considering switching to synthetic oil, be sure to follow the recommendations of your vehicle’s manufacturer.